There are several reasons a family doesn’t want to get a full treatment, but the one we see most is that a person has one of our contraindications for Signature AirAlle treatment. Generally, it’s a child under four years old. Our commitment to our community is to get and keep everyone lice free, and we are willing to do whatever to takes to achieve that. We sell our 100% dimethicone and our professional grade Terminator nit combs in our lobby, and we give detailed instructions on how to comb out a head.
Here’s a quick run through for those of you at home. The comb out procedure is the same one that we use here, for both head checks and comb outs.
- Divide hair into four portions and clip to keep it out of the way. Measure the middle part from the forehead above the nose to the middle of the neck, and side to side from ear to ear.
- Start at the bottom of the head, right above the neck. Take down and comb portions of an inch at a time. Put the hair above it back in the clip so you won’t get it mixed up.
- This MUST be done every day. Try to go through the entire head. It will take between 15-30 minutes, depending on the size of the head.
- The day you visit is Day 1. Comb through the hair every day for 20 days. On days 1, 10 and 20, use Active Rinse or 100% Dimethicone. This will kill anything that might have hatched from a missed nit.
Things To Remember!!
- The comb must touch the scalp. Lice lay eggs as close to the skin as possible, so you have to get as close as you can to the skin to get all the nits.
- Comb downwards, through the previous section. This ensures you won’t miss nits at the part line.
- When you start the next section, make sure you get the part line.
- At the end, go over “hot spots” again (behind the ears, all along the hair line, the center part line).
Active Rinse (or 100% Dimethicone) needs to cover every hair from root to tip. Make sure you cover the wispy hairs around the face and neck. Active Rinse must be shaken before each use. 100% Dimethicone does not need to be shaken. Wash out with blue Dawn dish soap.