As I’ve been getting ready to open, I’ve been striking up conversations all over town — about Lice! More than just a couple of folks I’ve talked with lately have shared a family recipe including the use of kerosene as a major ingredient in a home lice remedy. This is a very, very bad idea.
Please do not use kerosene on yourself or on your children!
- Kerosene is extremely toxic to lung tissue.
- Kerosene damages mucous membranes on contact. Delicate eyes and mouths are located on precious heads — a drip of kerosene can cause lasting, permanent damage.
- Kerosene can cause chemical burns on skin. It causes “defatting” of the skin, and painful irritation.
- A spark could cause a horrendous accident leading to severe burns or death.
Here is a link to a short and very informative article on kerosene poisoning: Kerosene Poisoning – NY Times Health Guide
There are better, more effective and safer ways to get rid of head lice. Lice Clinics of America has non-toxic, effective solutions. We can do a thorough head check to see if you need any treatment at all (because sometimes it isn’t lice). We have solutions starting at $25 for a do it yourself, active-rinse home treatment, on up to $185 for our signature 3-step AirAlle’ treatment that takes care of it all, very safely, in a single 60-90 minute sitting — once and done!
We are close by in Knoxville. We plan to open on July 15th.