Cleaning your house is vital to getting head lice out of your life. With so much misinformation on the internet, I wanted to give you a list of what to clean and how to do it, so you can move right on with your lice-free life.
- Wash all bedding, towels, and clothing used by infested family members in the past 48 hours. Use hot water or high heat settings.
- Things that can’t be washed can still be put in the dryer for 45 minutes on high.
- If it can’t go in the dryer, bag it up for 48 hours. Lice need to feed every 3 hours, and will starve to death in 48 hours.
- Hair things like brushes, combs, hair ties, hair bows, hats, or helmets, can go in the freezer for 8 hours.
- Vacuum or use a lint roller on everything fabric. Vacuum the floors, lint roll or vacuum the couches/recliners.
- Remember to vacuum or lint roll your car!
- Smooth surface things can be wiped down with Clorox wipes.
Lice don’t burrow, so you only need to clean the surface of things. You don’t have to throw anything out.
Don’t use bug sprays or bug bombs. Lice are immune to the pesticides, so it needlessly covers your house in poison without actually killing the lice.
Having lice is stressful. Getting rid of it doesn’t have to be. With these easy tips, you can get your house clean in a few hours, and have your life back faster.