We get a lot of people on Facebook asking about lice treatments, and there is a lot of misinformation on the internet! Here are some myths I’ve seen lately:
- Listerene – doesn’t help. You’ll smell minty fresh, but it dries out your scalp and won’t kill many hatched lice.
- Mayonnaise – while this a great hair moisturizing treatment, it won’t kill anything.
- Olive/coconut oil – you’ll have shiny hair, but it doesn’t kill anything.
- Saran Wrap over any of the above – keeping Saran Wrap over mayo or oil overnight is uncomfortable and can ruin your sheets, but won’t kill anything on your head.
- Rid/Nix/prescriptions – include harmful pesticides and only kill unevolved lice (not “super lice”).
- Kerosene – this one is the most dangerous. Not only will this not kill lice, but it can easily set on fire and cause permanent damage or death to you and your loved ones.
The only real way to get rid of lice without our FDA cleared nit killer is to comb out every single nit. This can take hours of work every day for weeks. Between work, kids in school, extra curricular activities, and the inability to properly comb out your own head, this means a simple lice problem can last for months and interfere with every aspect of your life.
Our FDA cleared AirAlle device kills 99.2% of nits in about 30 minutes, leaving you free to live your lice-free life. Feel free to check out other sections of our site to learn more! We are also on Facebook, Instagram, and answer emails and phone calls within 24 hours. We are committed to getting and keeping our community lice free.